- This event has passed.
Mel Gray Presents The Jazz Funk Factors
November 30, 2019 @ 9:30 PM
Tickets are not eligible for Baby Grand early access and discount.
General Admission Tickets: $15.00 advance | $20.00 at the door
Presents The Jazz Funk Factors
While Mel Gray is not a household name (yet) he definitely deserves to be! Gray, who calls Kannapolis home, has been an All-Star in the gospel and R&B field for many years, playing onstage and in the recording studio with such artists as John P. Kee, Daryl Rice, Maria Howell, Kevin Bond, Joe Sample, Ronnie Laws, Lionel Hampton and a host of other over his long career. After starting his musical journey on guitar at the age of eight by playing in his church, Gray then mastered the bass while in his late teens and has since become just as famous for his bass guitar prowess as his distinctive guitar licks. After meeting gospel legend John P. Kee at a music workshop at NCCC, Gray’s career began to take off. Gray cut his teeth on the road with soul star Little Royal who was a popular James Brown impersonator and subsequently toured with many other R&B performers, coming back to the area to play with Rounder recording artist Daryl Rice for three years. Gray then became a member of the much-loved house band the Cellar Dwellers for the original Jonathan’s jazz club in the ‘80’s. The Cellar Dwellers later became the popular 7th Street Band, were hired to play the wrap party for the movie The Color Purple and met the movie’s standout gospel soloist Maria Howell fresh put of college, who then became the 7th Street Band’s lead singer while being mentored by Gray. After his stint with the 7th Street Band Gray also spent seventeen years with award-winning gospel act the Tri-City Singers after meeting Grammy-winner Kevin Bond while they were both in the recording studio working with the NC Mass Choir. Gray continues his career as a first-call studio musician in the worlds of gospel, jazz and R&B and has played on many recordings while also making his name as a veteran live performer who is known throughout the East Coast as being able to lay down a groove in any situation. With Gray’s collection of musical friends and associates, any gig featuring Gray is sure to turn up a who’s-who of musical All-Stars.
MIDDLE C JAZZ | Ticket Terms and Conditions
1. Final sale. No refunds, no exchanges, not transferable.
2. We are located at 300 South Brevard Street, at the corner of South Brevard and East M.L.K. Jr. Boulevard.
3. Enter on South Brevard Street.
4. Paid parking is available in the 300 South Brevard deck, accessible via East M.L.K. Jr. Boulevard. Space is not guaranteed.
5. If traveling via public transportation, the nearest LYNX stop is the 3rd/Convention Center Station.
6. Seating is first-come at the door. Only Baby Grand Members qualify for early seating.
7. Doors open one hour prior to the performance for General Admission ticket-holders. Doors open one hour and 30 minutes prior to the performance for Baby Grand Members. Doors open 30 minutes prior to second shows.
8. Photography or recording of any kind is strictly prohibited. Smart phones are permitted.
• Tickets can be redeemed using a smartphone, no printing is required.
• All shows all ages unless otherwise posted, but please consider this is an adult setting.
• A full bar and light food menu are available throughout the show.
• At Middle C Jazz, we believe in taking care of each other and of ourselves. Please approach your concert experience with consideration for the enjoyment and safety of others, and please travel to and from your show responsibly.