The Greg Abate Quintet – A Tribute to Dizzy, Monk and Bird
Thu Oct 29 @ 9:15 PM$32.00
Greg Abate: International Jazz Artist
Greg Abate jazz saxophonist, flutist, composer continues as an International Jazz/Recording Artist with 225 days a year touring the globe.
In the mid 70’s after finishing a four year program at Berklee College Of Music, Greg played lead alto for the Ray Charles Orchestra for 2 years.
In 1978 Greg formed his group Channel One which was a favorite in the New England area and from there had the opportunity to play tenor sax with the revived Artie Shaw Orchestra under leadership of Dick Johnson from 1986 to ’87.
Following this experience Greg ventured out as post hard bop soloist playing Jazz Festivals, Jazz Societies and Jazz Clubs throughout the U.S. Canada and abroad, including most of Europe, UK, and Moscow and Georgia Russia.
Greg’s newest release: Kindred Spirits, Greg Abate Phil Woods with The Tim Ray Trio on Whaling City Sound Records.
Greg recorded his first CD Live At Birdland NYC in 1991 on the Candid Jazz Label with the trio of James Williams, Rufus Reid and Kenny Washington.
To this date Greg has recorded over 17 other recordings as leader.
Greg is also an adjunct professor of Jazz Studies at Rhode Island College and is also a very active jazz clinician with co. sponsorship from the Conn -Selmer Instrument Co., conducting workshops and master classes through the U.S and abroad.
Greg has been inducted into the RI MUSIC HALL OF FAME 2016
What some are saying about Greg Abate:
“I sleep a lot better knowing there are alto players like Greg! It was a joy to make music with him and he writes good songs that are challenging.”
– Phil Woods
Abate is not content to rely on stock bebop riffs and standard chord progressions. Rather, the sharp angularity of his phrases
and the often startling pauses in his fast-moving lines give his work a feeling of constant invention and creativity.”
–Howard Reich, Chicago Tribune
“…Abate’s musical style can be seen as a distillation of swing’s easygoing vibe and bop’s more animated groove. He has developed a unique voice.
–METRO San Jose,
“Greg Abate is an absolute powerhouse who will absolutely not let hard driving bebop die. One of the most exciting players around today, Greg’s commitment to the music is total…”
–W. Pickowitz, Jr., The Jazz Messenger
“Multi-saxophonist Greg Abate is a prime example of the ‘rear back and blow’ school of contemporary bop-based players. The tunes he writes or chooses are based on the kinds of changes that harmony-oriented jazzmen have favored since the beginning and he swings through them with and eager and easy virtuosity.”
–David Franklin, Jazz Times
“Greg Abate is one of the most appealing saxophonists on the scene today. He is mature with an abundance of gentle self-confidence. The result is that he plays music with sweetness and daring.”
–Jim Merod, New Jazz Recordings
TICKET TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Final sale. No refunds, no exchanges, not transferable.
2. We are located at 300 South Brevard Street, at the corner of South Brevard and East M.L.K. Jr. Boulevard. Enter on South Brevard Street.
3. Paid parking is available in the 300 South Brevard deck, accessible via East M.L.K. Jr. Boulevard. Space is not guaranteed. If traveling via public transportation, the nearest LYNX stop is the 3rd/Convention Center Station.
4. Seating includes the club & patio and is first-come at the door. Only Baby Grand Members qualify for preferred seating. Learn more about Middle C Jazz memberships.
5. Photography or recording of any kind is strictly prohibited. Smartphones are permitted.
6. Tickets can be redeemed using a smartphone, no printing is required.
7. All shows all ages unless otherwise posted, but please consider this is an adult setting.
8. A full bar and light food menu are available throughout the show.
9. At Middle C Jazz, we believe in taking care of each other and of ourselves. Please approach your concert experience with consideration for the enjoyment and safety of others, and please travel to and from your show responsibly.
10. As a courtesy to our patrons, please place cell phones on vibrate and keep conversation to a minimum during the show. Middle C Jazz reserves the right to refuse entry or to ask any patron to leave the club if necessary, to ensure the safety of other patrons.