- This event has passed.
Kobie Watkins Grouptet
Sat Feb 22 @ 7:00 PM
Doors will open 30 minutes early for Baby Grand Members. Learn more about Middle C Jazz club memberships.
Kobie Watkins Grouptet
Known for his fiery, emotive drumming from his time touring and recording with Sonny Rollins, Bobby Broom and Kurt Elling, Kobie Watkins was at the same time visualizing musical concepts for his own compositions and group. First explored on his 2009 solo debut, “Involved,” Watkins’ new formation was created from the inside out, born and cultivated from his travels and experiences and realized through his several year performing relationship with pianist Justin Nielson and his creatively connected bandmates. Though born and raised in Chicago and now based in North Carolina, the Grouptet was formed by happenstance in Idaho near the entrance to Yellowstone, where they were each brought in to teach. The remoteness allowed them to freely explore their own collective voice resulting in this collection of nine inspired originals, along with a slinky new arrangement of “Manteca.”
Movement is the first album of the Kobie Watkins Grouptet. Having already worked with a Kobie Watkins Quartet and a Kobie Watkins Group, the drummer needed a new name for this new ensemble of musicians. The Grouptet includes bassist Aaron Miller, pianist Justin Nielsen, guitarist Micah Stevens, trumpeter Ryan Nielsen, and saxophonist Jonathan Armstrong. Watkins met his bandmates in Idaho, where he still returns four times a year to teach master classes and perform with the grouptet at the ArtWest Performing and Visual Arts School.
The eleven-track Movement speaks to what Watkins loves best: jazz you can dance to. “Manteca” recalls the subtle, flirtatious twists and half-steps of dancers in jazz clubs. The nearly ten-minute long “In the Motion” is a slow but steady odyssey, one can imagine its danced plot moving in line with the drum. “Falling Upward” seems to demand joyful, erratic spins.
MIDDLE C JAZZ | Ticket Terms and Conditions
1. Final sale. No refunds, no exchanges, not transferable.
2. We are located at 300 South Brevard Street, at the corner of South Brevard and East M.L.K. Jr. Boulevard.
3. Enter on South Brevard Street.
4. Paid parking is available in the 300 South Brevard deck, accessible via East M.L.K. Jr. Boulevard. Space is not guaranteed.
5. If traveling via public transportation, the nearest LYNX stop is the 3rd/Convention Center Station.
6. Seating is first-come at the door. Only Baby Grand Members qualify for early seating.
7. Doors open one hour prior to the performance for General Admission ticket-holders. Doors open one hour and 30 minutes prior to the performance for Baby Grand Members. Doors open 30 minutes prior to second shows.
8. Photography or recording of any kind is strictly prohibited. Smart phones are permitted.
• Tickets can be redeemed using a smartphone, no printing is required.
• All shows all ages unless otherwise posted, but please consider this is an adult setting.
• A full bar and light food menu are available throughout the show.
• At Middle C Jazz, we believe in taking care of each other and of ourselves. Please approach your concert experience with consideration for the enjoyment and safety of others, and please travel to and from your show responsibly.