- This event has passed.
Gospel Sundays at Middle C Jazz
Sun Sep 27 @ 1:00 PM
Fuel your body and move your soul! With classic gospel playlists curated by DJ Fannie Mae and live gospel performances featuring Dennis Reed, be prepared to feast on inspirational music that will surely move your body and fuel your soul.
Dennis Reed is greater than the sum of his parts. He’s an award-winning songwriter, recording artist, entertainer, and CEO of Inspire the Fire Inc. a nonprofit organization serving hundreds of youth in the Carolinas and surrounding areas. He’s also an inspirational leader, a teacher, and an incredible motivator. He is already a veteran in the gospel music industry and a Young Artist in Residence and adjunct professor in the music department at his alma mater, Catawba College. And his star continues to rise.
Reed has won both accolades and awards for his songwriting. While he was still a student at Catawba College, where he was music major, he beat out over 1,200 student songwriters nationwide to win the 9th Annual BMI John Lennon Songwriting Scholarship. He then had an unprecedented three songs in the finals of the International Songwriting Competition, for which there were 15,000 entries from around the world. He placed third in that competition.
Dennis Reed and his group Dennis Reed & GAP performed with pop sensations New Kids On the Block during their 2008-2009 tour, and performed with the Charlotte Symphony Orchestra at the City of Charlotte’s Martin Luther King Celebration in 2008. In 2009, the group received GRAMMY® certificates for their work on the GRAMMY Award-winning project, Oh Happy Day: An All Star Musical Celebration, which featured Queen Latifah, Heather Hedley, Michael McDonald, Mavis Staples, Patty Griffin, and Joss Stone, among others. For this project, these world-renowned musicians collaborated with top gospel choirs to record renditions of some of the most loved and recognizable inspirational songs. The group was also honored to perform with soulful R&B singers Angie Stone and Anthony Hamilton for American Idol’s Fantasia Burrino’s private celebration of her VH1 reality show.
Reed and his non-profit were finalist on the televised talent competition America’s Got Talent where they won America’s Heart and were deemed as the “Urban Glee.” Reed & Inspire the Fire were honored by the city of Charlotte awarded their own “Inspire the Fire Day” by Charlotte Mayor & City Council.
Recognized for the talent, Reed & his groups performed at the Democratic National Convention. Joined by American Idol Finalist, Jessica Sanchez as they opened for Former President Bill Clinton. Inspire the Fire was also invited to open for President Obama during the DNC.
Reed & his Groups have had the honor of playing for Oprah Winfrey as the world celebrated the Legendary Life of Dr. Maya Angelou’s. Working alongside Bebe Winans, Donnie McClurkin, Dorinda Clark, Stephanie Mills, Valerie Simpson, Common, Kathy Taylor, and Marvin Winans.
Creative Loafing Magazine chose Reed for their cover as one of the “top 15 people to watch out for in 2015”. He was also awarded the Queen City Community Leader of the Year and the Rodney Jerkins Community Leader.
Recently, Reed was honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award by President Obama for his work in the community spanning over a decade. Dennis Reed continues to inspire his community all while growing his career in the music industry. Reed & his group gap recently finished a successful European Tour following his billboard success with American Idol Star Fantasia Burrino.
Never afraid to take you on an audible journey though time and space, her emotive musical selections are her own therapy. Having grown up in the church playing instruments, she has an eclectic music combination of funk, gospel, hip hop, soul, afrobeats and more. Originally from North Carolina, Fannie has spent her life writing songs, spinning records, and being an advocate for the arts. With a deep love of music she is looking forward to sharing energetic moments of love with beautiful people around the world.
TICKET TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Final sale. No refunds, no exchanges, not transferable.
2. We are located at 300 South Brevard Street, at the corner of South Brevard and East M.L.K. Jr. Boulevard. Enter on South Brevard Street.
3. Paid parking is available in the 300 South Brevard deck, accessible via East M.L.K. Jr. Boulevard. Space is not guaranteed. If traveling via public transportation, the nearest LYNX stop is the 3rd/Convention Center Station.
4. Seating includes the club & patio and is first-come at the door. Only Baby Grand Members qualify for preferred seating. Learn more about Middle C Jazz memberships.
5. Photography or recording of any kind is strictly prohibited. Smartphones are permitted.
6. Tickets can be redeemed using a smartphone, no printing is required.
7. All shows all ages unless otherwise posted, but please consider this is an adult setting.
8. A full bar and light food menu are available throughout the show.
9. At Middle C Jazz, we believe in taking care of each other and of ourselves. Please approach your concert experience with consideration for the enjoyment and safety of others, and please travel to and from your show responsibly.
10. As a courtesy to our patrons, please place cell phones on vibrate and keep conversation to a minimum during the show. Middle C Jazz reserves the right to refuse entry or to ask any patron to leave the club if necessary, to ensure the safety of other patrons.